Sunday, July 3, 2011

Dresden, Germany

We added Dresden because when reading about it we found out it's called "the Florence of the north" ... Well, I'll just start out by saying if we want to see that part of Dresden, we will have to come back. 

The train ride here allowed us the opportunity to experience yet another moment to learn. We had to switch trains once, and figured that out pretty well. So after getting on the last train that was supposed to take 4 hours and head right to Dresden, we assumed we were good to go. So, obviously, we napped, and listened to music, and didn't really pay much attention. Next thing you know we are 2 hours into our ride and a German train man is yelling at us (waking Courtney and getting me out of my music induced coma). Apparently the train we were on was at its last stop, and the Dresden train was behind is (the same train, but only some of the cars were continuing to Dresden...something we have both read about but never seem). So, we hop up, throw all our stuff in our bags, and run off the train. As I get off the man is screaming at me to run 2 cars down, and we get on just in time for the train to depart. I honestly think the man had the train waiting for the dumb Americans that didn't know they were in the wrong car. But, we made it..just in time for the US vs. Columbia game.

Luckily our hostel had a TV this time (a tiny one, but it was still here). So, we didn't have to leave to watch the game. Obviously I enjoyed the game... And we even got to go at half time down the street to the grocery store to get frozen pizzas because we finally have a kitchen to use! Also, while watching the game I met two 17 year old guys (yes, they were 17 and traveling around... I was surprised too). Anyways, come to find out they are following the England Women's team around...because one of the kids moms is the doctor for the team... And they had just come from training with the team that morning. Ya, I was jealous too. Anyways, they told us about some big boxing match that night and they were meeting the friends and family of the England team to watch it. Well, that ended up not happening, and I'm fine with that because as 17 year old boys they turned out to be just as obnoxious as you would think. But, since we decided to ditch them it turned out well for us because we got an amazing doner kebab on the way home (they are everywhere, and always smell so good, and are cheap. Aka we love them). 

Apparently we were both tired because we went to sleep and I didn't roll over until 1030. Which turned out to be fine because the rain coming down strong. We still wanted to at least walk to the city center and see some of the sights, so we decided to fight the rain and hopefully get some touring in before it got too heavy. It started well, Courtney was our tour guide again and she was reading to us about the golden man and horse....then her map started degrading from the wetness. Well, about an hour later, 30 or so pictures, and some soaking wet tourist...we gave up. There was just no way we were going to really see anything (it was raining pretty hard at this point), so I out my camera in my dry bag, and we decided to head to the supermarket to get supplies to make a good dinner. 

the evening actually ended up rather enjoyable. A laid back relaxed evening was just perfect. We cooked goulash (beef tips, onions, mushrooms and this really good sauce...it turns into kind of a stew) and made this amazing salad. And, to top it off it's been our cheapest day thus far. so we pigged out, watched Germany and The Marta show take down Norway, and just hung out in the lounge. The evening ended with Courtney searching for puppies in Auburn (she's getting a dog, finally, when we get back), eating way too many pieces of bread covered in Choco Duo (this stuff we first tried in Heidelberg, it's white and dark chocolate in a jar and is pretty amazing on a piece of toast), we drank tea and im watching Courtney play pick up sticks with some other backpackers right now. All in all, even without much touring, we've enjoyed our time here. 

Plus, after these last few days and hearing stories, I've decided one of the next trips is would love to make. Take my backpack, a tent, and myself (maybe a man for safety and other manly wilderness things) and make my way across southern Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.. Just seeing all the mountain ranges and hidden castles and all of that. We'll see, I definitely am already wanting to start planning another trip. This whole traveling thing is just infectious. 

Also, for those of you wondering (I hope all of you!)... I'm feeling a lot better. So hopefully that's the end of Europe hating me. I think shes grown to love me, actually. There is another slight problem though, I think all of my pants are slowly shrinking (because obviously I wouldn't be growing)...luckily I brought clothes that stretch a little... It must be the weather though, I just don't know what else would make my pants tighter. Oh well, Happy 4th of July, be proud to be anAmerican, I know I am. We will be supporting our colors strong here in just 2 days!! I'm sure everyone has the US vs. Sweden game on their calendars, but if not, add it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment